Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Healthier New Year

A very happy New Year to all of you!

Although I don't like making any resolutions for the New Year, one of my goals this year is to continue to maintain my active lifestyle going and eat healthy. Here is a list of things that I am planning to follow this year and post on this blog.

Diet

I didn't follow any diet program during my marathon training (Sep-Dec 08) but I intend to be more disciplined this year on this critical aspect. I am a vegetarian and so this will be more helpful to the vegetarians out there. Contrary to popular myth, you can get as much proteins from a vegetarian diet as you can from a meat diet with much less cholesterol. I take a protein drink twice a day (Zero Carb-Isopure), which provides about 50% of my protein requirement for the day. In addition, I take the Casein Protein drink in the evening on the days that I do weight training. I will post more about my diet in the future. I also take some vitamin supplements. In the future, I will post in detail about my diet program, nutrition, supplements.

Measurements

For those of you who have followed my earlier blog (http://stridesofhope.blogspot.com) will know that I reduced 25 pounds and 7% body fat in the course of my marathon training program from Sep-Dec 08.

Here is my current and goal for this year by Aug-09 Note that I am giving myself eight months to achieve this. Give yourself enough time to realize your goals and never try to lose more than 5 pounds in a month by going for any of the fad diets. These are not sustainable in the long run. Along with losing weight or reducing body fat, you are trying to make a change to your lifestyle which you should enjoy so that it can be sustained for long periods of time.

Current:

Weight: 155 pounds

Body fat : 17%

Fat Mass: 0.17 * 155 = 26.35 lbs

Lean Body Mass: 155 * 0.83 = 128.65 lbs

BMI: 22.2


 

Goal:

Weight: 140 pounds

Body fat : 9 %

Fat Mass: 0.09 * 140 = 12.6 lbs

Lean Body Mass: 140 * 0.91 = 127.4 lbs

BMI: 20.1


 

I calculated my body fat % from the gym by taking various waist, wrist,hips and forearm measurements. You can also get this from some of the popular weight measurement machines. I have the Tanita machine (http://www.tanita.com/BodyFatOverview.shtml ) which gives the weight, body fat % and water % Note that most of my weight loss is coming from the fat mass loss (14 lbs). Check the chart here for recommended body fat percent for Men and Women (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php)


 

Cardio Training

After debating for about 15 days on whether I should do marathon training or not, I finally decided that I want to go through the marathon training again for the Spring-09. I will be training with the Dallas Running Club starting next Wednesday (7-Jan). I am also planning to do swimming for my cardio training in addition to doing running, biking and elliptical. I am an average swimmer who can swim for about 5 to 7 minutes non-stop. The goal is to take this to at least 20 to 30 minutes in the next six months.

Weight Training

Although I have been doing weight training for the past 4 months when I was training for the marathon, I used to visit gym only twice a week. I am planning to change this to 4 times a week for the weights and do core training for two days. The goal of my weight training is to develop a strong core and lean muscle. I do not intend to get big through weight training. I have not yet decided whether to take one day off in a week or not. I will post more about this in future.

Sports

I have always been into many sports. Some of the sports that I have played in the past included Cricket, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis and Racquetball. I intend to get back to playing at least two days of any of these sports per week this year.


 

Have a Healthy and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment